Sunday, September 11, 2016

What Is One Thing You Use Every Day?

 Sunday, September 11, 2016

I've been writing this blog in my head since somewhere in mile one of this morning's Buffalo Run. The Buffalo Run is a five mile race set on the hills of Pioneers Park in Lincoln, Nebraska. It is the Lincoln Track Club's longest-running sponsored race... this was its 40th year.

There was a lot of hype associated with this 40th running. They were giving gift certificates to Lincoln Running Company to every 40th runner across the line. The Road Runners Club of America named it their one "non-standard distance" State Championship race of the year, so there were some extra awards available.

And there was birthday cake too (very good, chocolate cake, and YES, I ate some... don't look at me that way, Sparkers!)

OK, so why was I running a race thinking about things that I use every day? Because one of those things was practically shouting at me. Because while we may use hundreds of items every day: our toothbrushes, a favorite coffee mug (or the coffee pot), our eyeglasses, a daily medication... on and on... every day we use our bodies! In particular, we use just about every part of our bodies: arms, legs, fingers, toes, brains...

And my left ankle was reminding me loudly that I was NOT using it wisely. In the first MILE of a five mile race! I slowed down. I walked a bit, tested it at a slower pace, and let people pass me. Turned out it barked more on the uphill/downhill sections, and I was able to jog more slowly when the elevation was even. My co-worker passed me and asked if I was OK sometime during mile 2. I told him I was having ankle issues, but I was OK, go on and run your best.

I tested it on a good long stretch of even ground, and found it was improving, and while I didn't press for speed, and listened carefully to that ankle, I was able to finish the race at a modest running pace. I repassed my co-worker sometime in mile 3, tossing the comment his way that the ankle had finally warmed up.

So my ONE THING I use every day? Today I'm giving the nod to my left ankle.

One thing that impressed me most in my race day experience: Ann Ringlein (owner of the Running Company) called my name as I approached the finish line. I had no idea she knew who I was, but it appears she does.

And yes, there was this little trinket that I did not expect, having forgotten the "State Championship" aspect of this race.

Second in my age group, second in the larger "Senior Grand Master" female group, as well. Silver medal. Despite the left ankle, and with its assistance and cooperation, given I listened and babied it a bit.

Home now, showered, left ankle wrapped. Life is good.

LIVE, but take care of every part of your body, because it is one thing we ALL use, every day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't think you can do it? I didn't think so either...

Wednesday, January 02, 2019 Remember Mt. St. OMG, that got shoved aside into other areas of the house for the holidays? Today I brought it b...